Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes – Carroll, Frederick & Howard Counties, MD
Private in-home or group breastfeeding classes offered by appointment – Cost $30.00 – call (443) 293-7364 for class dates. Partners are encouraged to attend
While breastfeeding is a natural biological act, it is also a “learned skill”. Both mother and baby are learning together. The more a mother knows prior to latching her baby for the first time; the easier it should be. Take a breastfeeding class! We also offer in-home Lactation Consultations to help your baby breastfeed.
- BREASTFEEDING CLASSES
Power Point presentation includes the following information:
- several common breastfeeding positions
- to latch properly/view movie/Power Point with lots of visuals
- to treat sore nipples should this happen early in your breastfeeding journey
- what Colostrum is and how to tell if baby is getting enough, learn about milk production
- the many health benefits for both mother and baby
- normal urine and stooling patterns and normal weight loss and regain
- How partner/family can help
- how milk production happens physiologically and hormonally & how to get off to a great start
- Normal newborn behavior, feeding cues, cluster feeding, how often to feed, etc.…
- skin-to-skin and hand expression
- Alternative Feeding Methods to avoid Nipple Confusion or fast-flow preference…
- possible anatomical challenges (i.e. mom with flat/inverted nipples/baby with Tongue tie or high palate, torticollis, …)
- Proper use of breastfeeding aides like Nipple Shields/ shells & other products and how to size properly
- Learn about different types of breast pumps and proper use/return to work/storage of breastmilk…
- Learn how to manage breastfeeding as mother returns to work and baby grows
- Have questions answered and concerns addressed with Q&A time
- Learn about diet and medication use during lactation
- Learn about herbs that will increase milk supply
- Learn where to find help or when to call a Lactation Consultant – discount for Lactation In-home visit/FREE phone consults after birth
- Learn how to choose a Pediatrician that supports breastfeeding
Why Take a Breastfeeding Class?
There are many potential problems that are so avoidable if mothers/couples get the education prenatally they need to get off to a great start!
It is so much better to prevent sore nipples, rather than treat them! It is so much better to avoid NON-medical formula supplementation with bottle nipples and know that this can interfere with a mother establishing her own milk supply, interfere with baby’s ability to latch properly and hurt a mother’s confidence. Often times all a mother & her baby need is support and encouragement and a little time & practice.
My breastfeeding classes are designed to give parents the confidence they need and empower them. Combining years of experience, compassion and education & research I try to help parents achieve their breastfeeding goals. Partners play a critical role by learning how they can support mother and bond with baby in their own special way. Connecting with other mothers/couples helps build a support network for after your birth.
Information is shared in a respectful, open manner. Sharing of concerns is encouraged.
Call Susan Weyer about class schedules or creating a class for your group or for a private in-home visit: 443-293-7364 Request information online